A Livermore retail clerk called the bluff of a customer last week when he reportedly attempted to hold up her store.
The would-be robber entered the shop on the 4300 block of Las Positas Road Wednesday at 7 p.m., selected items and proceeded to the cash register, said Sgt. Keith Graves of the .
After the clerk rang up the shopper's items, he grabbed his waistband, said he had a gun, and demanded the money in the till, Graves said.
The clerk told the man she did not believe he had a gun.
He insisted he did, Graves said, and the clerk countered: "Is it worth going to prison for?"
To which, Graves said, the attempted robber replied: "I gotta do what I gotta do."
The clerk then reached for the phone, announced she was dialing 911, and the suspect fled, Graves continued.
The suspect was described as a dark-skinned white or possibly Hispanic man in his mid-20s, with a stocky build and a tattoo on his neck, Graves said.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed the incident is encouraged to call police at 925-371-4900.
In other news:
Saturday, July 14
- A man, 44, was arrested at 4:14 p.m. for allegedly resisting officers and causing bodily injury. Location of the arrest is unknown.
- Narcotics possession reported 6:36 p.m. along 4100 East Avenue.
- Obstructing/resisting police cited 2:41 a.m. on 2400 First Street, and 1:54 a.m. along 7700 Southfront Road.
- Public intoxication reported 5:24 p.m. on Cartier Drive at Arroyo Road.
- at Santa Rita Jail for suspected DUI.
Friday, July 13
- Shoplifting theft cited 4:52 p.m. along 2900 Las Positas Road; petty theft on 2200 First Street at noon.
- Possession of controlled substances reported 9:39 p.m. on 1300 Locust Street.
- Identity theft logged 3 p.m. along 6600 Brookdale Court.
Thursday, July 12
- Domestic assaults reported: 3:17 p.m. on the 1100 block of Aberdeen Avenue; 8 p.m. on the 500 block of Cedar Drive.
- Battery reported 9:31 a.m. along 5500 Leahy Way.
- Individuals allegedly under the influence of controlled substances reported: 12:55 a.m. on De Soto and De Leon ways; 2 a.m. along 7700 Southfront Road.
- Theft recorded 1 p.m. on 2300 South Vasco Road.
- Controlled-substance possession logged 2:43 a.m. on 3800 Madeira Way.
- enter not guilty plea.
- Unlicensed motorist cited 12:04 a.m. on Maple Street at East Avenue.
Wednesday, July 11
- Robbery reported 7:08 p.m. along 4300 Las Positas Road.
- Vehicle reported stolen on 1000 Bluebell Drive at 5:40 p.m.
- Theft using access cards cited 3:30 p.m. along 4500 Las Positas Road.
- Other thefts: 5:45 p.m. on 2900 Las Positas Road; 6 p.m. along 1100 Aberdeen Avenue.
- Telephone harrassment reported 1 p.m. on the 500 block of Nightingale Street.
- Felony vandalism logged 11:25 p.m. on 5300 Charlotte Way.
Tuesday, July 10
- Contempt-of-court violations reported: 3:39 a.m. on the 3400 block of Leahy Way; 6;30 p.m. on the 400 block of Leona Drive.
- Theft from vehicle logged 8 p.m. along 800 Grace Street.
- Domestic assault reported 6 p.m. on the 500 block of Colusa Way.
- Battery reported 5:25 a.m. on 3500 Madiera Way.
- Drug-paraphernalia possession cited 11:28 p.m. along 4400 First Street.
- Livermore .
Monday, July 9
- Domestic assaults: 2:24 a.m. on the 1900 block of Chestnut Street; 5:15 p.m. on 3500 Leahy Way.
- Unlicensed motorist cited 1:10 p.m. on East Airway Boulevard.
- Car break-ins logged 9 p.m. on 600 Los Alamos Avenue and 11:30 p.m. on 1400 Railroad Avenue.
- Narcotics possession reported 12:40 p.m. on East Stanley and Murrieta boulevards.
- Grand theft recorded 11 a.m. along 1700 Niagara Drive.
- Shoplifting reported 6:30 p.m. on 2900 Las Positas Road.
- Stolen vehicle recovered 8 a.m. on 1500 Spring Valley Common.
- Fire reported 7 p.m. at .
- Battery reported 12:28 a.m. on 1700 Catalina Court.
- Livermore for sex crimes.
Sunday, July 8
- Two arrests made along 4400 First Street for alleged theft with fictitious checks: an Oakland woman, 19, at 11:41 a.m.; a Hayward woman, 20, at 2:37 p.m.
- Vandalism cited 12:27 a.m. on 4400 First Street, and 1:45 a.m. on 5800 East Avenue.
- DUI arrest made 1:42 a.m. on East and Hillcrest avenues.
- Controlled-substance possession reported 3:33 p.m. on 2300 Chestnut Street.