Livermore residents near Rincon, Olivina, Western and Lambaren avenues were mad as heck — and not going to take it anymore.
Fed up with graffiti, scofflaws, gang activity and criminal malfeasance, they recently organized a Neighborhood Watch group and made their first order of business an abandoned house on Lambaren Avenue.
The boarded-up, single-story home, on the corner of Lambaren and North S Street — vacant for two years or more — had became a magnet for trash dumping, particularly of old television sets, gang-tagging and nogoodniks, in general.
Neighbors suspected pot dealers were, at one time, using the abandoned house as a storage facility.
Last week, after numerous, varied and futile attempts to contact actual owners of the property, nearly 20 area residents — 15 adults and four kids from the newly formed Neighborhood Watch — spent hours removing rubbish and tidying up the former eyesore.
"People care," said one clean-up crew member, who did not want to be identified by name.
"At first, someone said, 'Can we get accused of trespassing?'" the resident said. "And we said, 'Yeah, but who's going to accuse us?'"
The Livermore Police Department encourages formations of Neighborhood Watch groups to help deter crime.
For information on starting a neighborhood watch, contact the department's Nicole Aguon at 925-371-7524.
Friday, Oct. 19
- Vandalism logged 5:12 p.m. on 100 Locust Street.
- Theft reported 8 a.m. on 4100 Bristlecone Way.
- Male motorist arrested for suspected driving under the influence 12:44 a.m. on 1600 Railroad Avenue; his male companion, 22, was charged with giving false identification to police.
- Man arrested 7:06 p.m. on Railroad Avenue at North K Street for alleged DUI, use/influence of controlled substances and drug-paraphernalia possession.
- Two-vehicle, injury-accident 3 p.m. at intersection of Highway 84/Vallecitos Road and Ruby Hills Drive/Kalthoff Common.
- Fire at historic Livermore building ruled suspicious.
Thursday, Oct. 18
- Battery reported 1:59 p.m. on 3900 Southfront Road; domestic assault, 11:30 p.m., on the 900 block of North Canyons Parkway.
- Drunk-and-disorderly arrest 7:39 a.m. on 1700 South Livermore Avenue.
- Suspected sale of narcotics reported 6:50 p.m. on Maple and Second streets.
- Motorist with suspended license cited 7:15 a.m. on Patterson Pass and South Vasco roads.
- Car break-in logged 7 p.m. along 5400 Wildflower Drive.
- DUI arrest 12:48 a.m. on 700 East Stanley Boulevard.
- Suspected use/influence of controlled substances reported 4:34 a.m. on 3900 East Avenue.
- Data released involving suspected sexual abuse in Boy Scouts organization.
Wednesday, Oct. 17
- Burglary reported 5:30 p.m. on 2200 Buena Vista Avenue.
- Theft of motor parts logged 11 a.m. on 4300 Chaucer Court.
- Motorists without licenses cited: 8 a.m. on Isabel Avenue and I-580; 2:30 p.m. on North Mines Road at First Street.
- Vehicles reported stolen 7 p.m. along 1500 Portola Avenue, and 9 p.m. on 800 Yolo Way.
- Assault and battery reported 11 a.m. on 2900 Paragon Outlets Drive; domestic assault reported 10 p.m. on the 5300 block of Lilac Avenue.
- Graffiti damage cited 5 p.m. on 800 Rincon Avenue.
- Motorist with marijuana cited 8:30 a.m. on Patterson Pass Road and Robin Common.
- Telephone harassment logged 9 a.m. on 5700 Las Positas Road.
Tuesday, Oct. 16
- Vandalism logged 1 a.m. along 2200 Chestnut Street; graffiti damage on 600 Rincon Avenue at noon.
- Forgery reported 2:55 p.m. on 200 South J Street.
- Grand theft from building on 600 East Jack London Boulevard reported 7 p.m.
- Grand theft from vehicle on 1300 Murdell Lane logged 7:30 a.m.
- Livermore man, 44, arrested for parole violations 2:12 a.m.; arrest location unavailable.
Monday, Oct. 15
- Vehicles reported stolen: 6 p.m. on 200 Clarke Avenue; 10 p.m. on 1000 Nielsen Lane.
- Burglary reported 9:10 a.m. 6100 Scenic Avenue.
- Livermore male, 19, arrested for alleged public intoxication 3:48 a.m. on 500 Junction Avenue.
- Theft arrest of Livermore woman, 18, 11:45 p.m. on 800 Rincon Avenue.
- Warrants served: 11:57 a.m. on Spruce Street and Rincon Avenue; 7:33 p.m. on 2900 Pacific Avenue.
- Report of armed person wearing clown mask at Livermore school was kid playing with airsoft gun.
- Identity theft filed on 600 Salem Court 11:10 a.m.
- Controlled-substance possession reported: 10 a.m. on Hollyhock Street and Peony Drive; 10:33 p.m. on 900 East Stanley Boulevard.
- I-580 solo car crash may have been intentional.
Sunday, Oct. 14
- Vehicles reported stolen: 3:30 a.m. on Jayhawk Lane and Scenic Avenue; 3:25 p.m. on 400 Junction Avenue.
- Car break-in logged 9 a.m. along 6100 Fieldstone Drive.
- DUI arrests: Hayward man, 29, 1:32 a.m. on 2200 First Street; San Ramon woman, 45, 9:02 p.m. on 3000 Chateau Way.
- Motorists with suspended licenses cited: 4:15 a.m. on Forget Me Not Common and North Vasco Road; 2:50 p.m. on 1400 First Street.
- Female arrested for alleged use/influence of controlled substances and possession of drug paraphernalia on 4300 Las Positas Road 9:47 p.m.
- Battery reported 7:15 p.m. on 1600 Paseo Laguna Seco.
- Public-intoxication arrests: Livermore male, 22, 1:32 a.m. on First and South J streets; Livermore man, 48, 12:15 a.m. on 600 North M Street.
Saturday, Oct. 13
- Vehicles reported stolen: 5 a.m. on 7600 Southfront Road; 8 p.m. on 1500 block of North Vasco Road.
- Domestic assault logged 3:37 a.m. on Alden Lane and Holmes Street.
- Motor-vehicle parts stolen 6 a.m. along 800 San Miguel Drive.
- DUI arrest 1:41 a.m. on 1800 First Street.
- Warrant served 2:29 p.m. Hillcrest and East avenues.
- Narcotics possession reported 12:13 a.m. on East Stanley and North Murrieta boulevards.
- Stolen-property possession reported 6:43 p.m. along 4100 Bishop Pine Way.