What was first reported as a structure fire turned out to be burning tar on the roof of Panda Express on Portola Avenue.
An employee at the restaurant said a man working on the building left some tar on the roof which began to heat up. The smell of the burning tar got picked up by the eatery's ventilation system. Firefighters were called in shortly after.
According to the mobile application PulsePoint, the incident occurred around 1:39 p.m. It was originally reported as a structure fire.
Livermore Pleasanton Fire told Livermore Patch that the four fire engines, two trucks and a batallion chief responded to the incident.