A San Jose man last week reportedly pushed a full grocery cart past checkout stands and supermarket employees — biting one along the way — as he headed to his planned getaway car before being stopped and arrested on suspicion of robbery by the Livermore Police Department.
Officers were called about 5:30 p.m. Sept. 23 to the Safeway supermarket on the 1500 block of First Street by the store's loss-prevention workers who reported a battery incident between employees and a suspected shoplifter, said Officer David Blake.
The security workers told police they attempted to detain Robert Trung Nguyen, 36, outside the store after witnessing him fill a shopping cart with items and push it past cash registers without paying, Blake said.
As they attempted to stop Nguyen, he reportedly bit a theft-prevention worker on the forearm and headed toward a green Honda Civic with Texas plates. The loss-prevention officers, along with help from bystanders, caught Nguyen before he made it to the getaway car and subdued him until police arrived, Blake said.
The Honda took off prior to the cops' arrival and no further information about the vehicle or occupant is available, Blake said.
Nguyen was arrested on suspicion of felony robbery — as the theft attempt was made with force — and is incarcerated with $115,000 bail at Santa Rita Jail in Dublin, according to court records.
In other area police news:
Sunday, Sept. 30
- Livermore police arrest Concord woman found sleeping in stolen van.
Saturday, Sept. 29
- Arrest for suspected driving under the influence made 12:01 a.m. on Dolores Street at Arbor Avenue.
- Prescription-drug take-back event held at police headquarters.
Friday, Sept. 28
- Car break-in logged 4:32 a.m. on the 1700 block of Valley of the Moon.
- Felony warrant arrest made 3:43 p.m. on Larkspur Drive at Primrose Lane.
- Use/influence of controlled substances reported along 200 North Murrieta Boulevard at 9:46 a.m.
Thursday, Sept. 27
- Two vehicles reported stolen: 4:30 p.m. on 1100 Murdell Lane; 8 p.m. on 500 Everglades Lane.
- Burglary logged 1:28 p.m. along 300 Thrasher Avenue.
- Warrant served 6:18 p.m. on Fourth and South I streets.
- Narcotics possession/use reported 12:41 a.m. and 1 a.m. along 3000 Pacific Avenue.
- Police reiterate school-bus traffic safety.
Wednesday, Sept. 26
- Vandalism cited 7:45 a.m. along 2900 Sage Common.
- Warrant arrests: 9:30 p.m. along 900 Via Montalvo; 10:16 p.m. on 4900 Hercules Court.
- Grand theft from building on 1400 First Street reported 10:45 p.m.
- Domestic assault logged 2:54 p.m. along 3200 Leahy Way.
- Use/influence of controlled substances reported 6:56 p.m. on 4400 First Street.
- Injury-accident reported 11:30 a.m. on First Street at Southfront Road.
Tuesday, Sept. 25
- Contempt-of-court violation cited 6 p.m. on 700 El Rancho Drive.
- Residential burglary reported 1 p.m. on 100 Tamalpais Avenue; commercial burglary at noon on 800 East Airway Boulevard.
- Livermore pair linked to fatal apartment explosion takes plea deal.
- Domestic assaults reported: 1 a.m. on the 3500 block of Madeira Way; 12:35 p.m. along 1600 Paseo Laguna Seco; 6:58 p.m. on 2800 Carmen Avenue.
- Unlicensed motorist cited 5 p.m. on East Stanley Boulevard and Wall Street.
- DUI arrest made 9 p.m. on 5100 Peony Drive.
- Public intoxication reported 12:39 a.m. along 1600 Second Street.
- Bench-warrant arrest 4:36 p.m. on North Livermore and Pacific avenues.
Monday, Sept. 24
- Suspicious circumstances investigated 3:52 p.m. on 6100 Collier Canyon Road.
- Unlicensed motorist cited 8:18 a.m. on Paseo Laguna Seco and Portola Avenue.
- Thefts logged 4:15 p.m. on 4400 First Street, and 5:17 p.m. on 2900 Las Positas Road.
- Vehicle reported stolen along 1300 Berkely Place at 7 p.m.
- DUI arrest made 2:23 a.m. on East Stanley Boulevard and Isabel Avenue.
- Domestic assault reported 8 a.m. on the 5200 block of Norma Way.
- Pedestrian killed on I-680.
Sunday, Sept. 23
- Robbery reported 5:20 p.m. along 1500 First Avenue.
- Stolen vehicle recovered 5:12 a.m. on 3800 East Avenue.
- Warrant arrest made 11:37 a.m. on 1000 Airway Boulevard.
- Domestic assaults reported: 8:15 a.m. on the 700 block of El Rancho Drive; 2:34 p.m. along 1300 Winding Stream Drive.
- Drunk-and-disorderly arrests made 2:10 a.m. along 2100 First Street, and 2:31 a.m. on 1600 Railroad Avenue.