For the fourth straight year, older-model Hondas rank tops as the nation's most stolen vehicles, and that appears true in Livermore, as well.
Five of the 11 car theft-related cases reported last week involved Hondas, according to the Livermore Police Department.
The cars — 1990s Accords and Civics — apparently, are relatively easy to break into, plus the parts are valuable and the engines are sought after by street racers, news files state.
Experts suggest older-Honda owners install tracking systems or alarms to deter thieves.
Officer David Blake offers additional guidelines to help prevent vehicle theft, in general:
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Lock vehicle doors.
- Utilize alarms.
- Remove valuables from vehicles.
Police also encourage residents to report suspicious activity to LPD's non-emergency line at 925-371-4987.
Neighborhood watch programs, in addition, foster a sense of community and watching out for fellow neighbors, Blake said.
For further information on starting a neighborhood watch, contact Nicole Agoun at 925-371-7524.
In other news:
Saturday, Sept. 22
- Residential burglary reported 6 p.m. on the 1200 block of Echo Summit Street.
- A 20-year-old male was arrested 12:23 a.m. on First and South J streets for suspected public intoxication and giving false identification to police.
- Female arrested for alleged driving under the influence 3:46 a.m. on 5600 Oakmont Circle.
- Person reportedly shot in 11:40 p.m. Paseo Laguna Seco home-invasion robbery.
- Warrants served: 9:25 a.m. on 400 North Livermore Avenue; 3:24 p.m. on 2400 Wellingham Drive.
- Male arrested 4 a.m. along 1300 Almond Avenue for alleged domestic assault.
- Male, 24, arrested 9:01 p.m. on 7800 Macarthur Drive for suspected drug and paraphernalia possession. Suspect also faces possible immigration issues, records state, and is incarcerated on no-bail status.
- Drunk-and-disorderly arrest made of a man 5:49 p.m. on 1500 First Street.
- Female arrested 12:52 p.m. on El Caminito and Holmes Street for alleged drug and paraphernalia possession; court docket also shows burglary and grand theft charges.
- Child-custody exchange at 10 a.m. on First Street ends in arrests.
- Funeral service held for Pleasanton teen runaway found dead last week with Livermore man in Newark motel.
Friday, Sept. 21
- Two vehicles reported stolen/tampered with: 12:20 a.m. on 100 North Murrieta Boulevard; and 6 p.m. on 900 Miranda Way.
- Vandalism cited 9:30 p.m. on 1800 Serenidad Street.
- Male motorist arrested 6:37 p.m. on Cromwell Way at North Livermore Avenue for suspected DUI and suspended license.
- Assaults reported 12:48 p.m. along 1200 Asti Court, and 3:55 p.m. on Railroad Avenue at North Livermore Avenue.
- Domestic-assault arrest made of a male 1 p.m. on the 200 block of Junction Avenue.
- Female arrested 7:15 p.m. on 1500 Vasco Road for public intoxication.
- Warrant served 10:25 p.m. along 1300 First Street.
Thursday, Sept. 20
- Six vehicles reported stolen/tampered with: 7:30 a.m. on 200 North Murrieta Boulevard; 9 a.m. on 500 Nightingale Street; 10:30 a.m. on 300 North M Street; 8 p.m. on 2800 Kitty Hawk Road; 9:30 p.m. on Redwood Road and Autumn Oak Drive; 10 p.m. on 1500 Corte Reina Common.
- Stolen vehicle from another jurisdiction recovered 3:45 p.m. on 700 Falcon Way.
- Forgery reported 4:54 p.m. along 2100 Second Street.
- Domestic assault reported 1:40 p.m. along 1400 Heather Lane.
Wednesday, Sept. 19
- Unlicensed motorist cited 9:31 a.m. on Pine and North P streets.
- Vandalism logged 8:20 p.m. on 4400 First Street.
- Residential burglary reported 7:40 a.m. along 500 Stetson Way.
- A Pleasanton man, 38, was arrested for suspected drug and paraphernalia possession and public intoxication 1:45 a.m. on 100 North Livermore Avenue.
- Domestic assault reported 7 p.m. on 400 Bernal Avenue.
- Grand theft reported 5 p.m. on 4400 First Street.
Tuesday, Sept. 18
- Arrest for suspected prostitution plus use of controlled substances made of a female 12:24 a.m. on 2800 Constitution Drive. Her male companion, 30, of Livermore, was arrested for controlled substance use/influence.
- Motorist with marijuana cited 5 p.m. on Portola Avenue and Ridgecrest Circle
- Stolen vehicle recovered 12:05 p.m. along 1400 First Street.
- A Livermore woman, 30, was arrested for alleged possession of stolen car and stolen property on 3300 Edinburgh Drive at 11:52 a.m.
- Use/influence of controlled substances reported 9:26 a.m. on 2000 Chestnut Street.
- Discovery Bay male, 20, arrested for alleged DUI 8:20 p.m. on Kitty Hawk Road at Rickenbacker Circle.
- Valley Springs male, 32, arrested 11:45 p.m. on 7700 Southfront Road for suspected narcotics possession and use/influence.
Monday, Sept. 17
- Residential burglary reported 9 a.m. along 1100 Concannon Boulevard; commercial burglary 9:30 a.m. on 2700 Las Positas Road.
- Thefts reported: 3 p.m. on 100 Wright Brothers Avenue; 5:19 p.m. on 1150 South Livermore Avenue.
- Bench warrant served 9:10 p.m. on 1300 Belfast Court.
- Burning-tar fire reported on Portola Avenue fast-food restaurant.
- Public-intoxication arrests: 1:52 a.m. on 200 North Murrieta Boulevard; 2:20 p.m. on 300 Livermore Avenue; 10:50 p.m. on 1500 First Street.
- DUIs reported: 3:32 a.m. on First and Scott streets; 9:14 p.m. on South Vasco Road at Brisa Street.
- Narcotics possession reported 4 p.m. along 1000 Bluebell Drive.
Sunday, Sept. 16
- Three vehicles reported tampered with or stolen: 4 p.m. on 300 Charlotte Common; 5:30 p.m. on 5600 Charlotte Way; 11 p.m. on 900 Hazel Street.
- Vehicular burglaries: 7 p.m. on 5600 Charlotte Way; 9 p.m. on 5600 Elder Circle.
- Livermore woman, 48, arrested for alleged possession of controlled substances on Pine Street at Rincon Avenue 12:20 p.m.
- Male arrested for public intoxication 12:07 a.m. along 1800 First Street.
- Commercial burglary reported 5:20 a.m. along 4400 Las Positas Road.
- Theft logged 2:04 p.m. on 2900 Las Positas Road.
- Use/influence of controlled substances reported 12:41 a.m. on 2300 Sescond Street.
- Domestic battery reported 1:30 a.m. along 5100 Norma Way, 12:19 p.m. on 5700 East Avenue.