Jheline Demesa, 22, of San Leandro, ate dinner at Ray's Crab Shack on Mowry Avenue, where the waitress mistakenly gave her a credit card from an adjacent table, according to the Newark Police Department.
Instead of returning the card, Demesa allegedly left the restaurant with it, police said.
The real cardholder tried to cancel the credit card a short time later, but learned transactions were made on it at NewPark Mall across the street, Newark police Cmdr. Mike Carroll said.
The victim notified police about the incident at 6:20 p.m., Carroll said.
The restaurant owner managed to find an image of Demesa captured by a surveillance camera inside the eatery and gave it to the victim, who went to the mall to look for her, Carroll said.
The victim and mall security located Demesa then notified police, Carroll said.
Officers arrested Demesa shortly after 8 p.m. on suspicion of commercial burglary and credit card fraud, Carroll said.
Demesa was booked into the Santa Rita Jail, Dublin, police said.
Sunday, Aug. 18
- Battery reported 12:15 a.m. on the 100 block of South Livermore Avenue.
- Public intoxication reported 1:03 a.m. on First and South J streets.
- Bicyclist injured On Mount Diablo while participating in the Fast Freddie Gran Fondo event.
- Vandalism: 12:30 a.m. along 1600 Paseo Laguna Seco.
- DUI reported 2:02 a.m. on the 1800 block of Chestnut Street.
- Suspended/unlicensed motorists cited: 1:11 a.m. South Livermore Avenue at Seventh Street; 1:51 a.m. Cromwell Way at North Livermore Avneue; 3:02 p.m. Olivina and Western avenues.
- Livermore suspect in infant son's death due in court on drug charges.
- Big rig overturns on I-680 in Sunol.
- Vandalism: 9:16 p.m. on 3800 East Avenue.
- Domestic battery/assaults reported: 10:18 p.m. on the 400 block of North Livermore Avenue; 3:30 p.m. on the 5400 block of Scenic Avenue.
- Battery reported: 6:40 p.m. on 800 North Vasco Road; 12:10 p.m. on 3200 Paragon Outlets Drive.
- DUIs: 5:10 p.m. North Murrieta Boulevard at Olivina Avenue; 1:37 a.m. on 2300 Railroad Avenue.
- Commercial burglary: 3:29 p.m. on 3300 Paragon Outlets Drive.
- Theft from building along 1200 Portola Avenue logged 3:30 p.m.
- Telephone harassment reported 8 a.m. on 3700 Pacific Avenue.
- Use/influence of controlled substances reported: 4:55 a.m. on 1600 Linden Street; 2 a.m. First Street at Southfront Lane.
- Controlled-substance possession: 2:15 a.m. South Vasco and Las Positas roads.
- Public intoxication: 8:55 p.m. North K street and Railroad Avenue.
- Theft reported 11 a.m. on 2400 Kitty Hawk Road.
- Battery logged 6:55 p.m. along 1600 Railroad Avenue.
- DUI 1:50 a.m. along 1800 Elm Street.
- Unlicensed motorist cited 7:02 a.m. North Vasco and Northfront roads.
- Motorcyclist injured in morning collision on I-580.
- Pleasanton teen who struck and killed bicyclist on Foothill Road charged with homicide.
- Commercial burglaries: 4:20 p.m. on 4400 First Street; 4:58 p.m. along 200 south K Street.
- Vehicle reported stolen 2:50 p.m. on 4400 Las Positas Road.
- Theft of motor vehicle parts 1 p.m. on 3000 Las Positas Road.
- Battery reported 3:28 a.m. Charlotte Way at East Avenue.
- DUI with motorist with prior DUI reported Charlotte Way at Ursula Street 11:21 p.m.
- DUI: I-580 at Airway Boulevard 10:01 p.m.
- Public intoxication: 11:40 p.m. along 1700 Mill Springs Common.
- Police obstruction: 1:46 p.m. on 2400 Las Positas Road.
- Possess/purchase of narcotics reported 2:36 p.m. on 1000 Murrieta Boulevard.
- Vandalism: 1:20 a.m. East Stanley and North Murrieta boulevards.
- Narcotics possession reported 10:32 p.m. I-580 at Carroll Road.
- Use/influence of controlled substances reported 6:48 p.m. south Livermore and East avenues.
- Vehicle reported stolen 7:30 p.m. along 100 Eucalyptus Court.
- Battery: 10:29 p.m. on the 700 block of Hattan Drive.
- Domestic battery reported 5:20 p.m. on the 1000 block of Auburn Street.
- Warrant arrests: 9:30 p.m. along 2200 Linden Street; 12:07 p.m. on 600 North L Street.
- Car break-ins: 11:20 a.m. on 2400 Las Positas Road; 4 p.m. on 2600 Paragon Outlets Drive; 6:30 p.m. on 2600 Kitty Hawk Road.
- Police obstruction: 4:57 a.m. on 1000 Murrieta Boulevard.
- Teen falls through second-story window.
- Former Granada High School teacher sentenced for sex crimes with minor.
- San Ramon man, 26, dies in plane crash. Story here.
- Vehicle reported stolen 1:45 p.m. on 2900 Las Positas Road.
- Commercial burglary logged 1:46 a.m. along 4400 Las Positas Road.
- Vandalism: 12:45 p.m. on 300 Marie Common.
- Car break-in: 1 p.m. on 3100 Paragon Outlets Drive.
- Theft using access-card information 2 p.m. on 3100 Paragon Outlets Drive.
- DUIs: 2:19 a.m. Wall Street at East Stanley Boulevard; 9:08 p.m. on 1400 Railroad Avenue.
- Motorist with marijuana cited 6:24 p.m. Sandra and Kathy ways.
- Controlled-substance possession reported 1:45 p.m. along 3500 Leahy Way.
- Unlicensed motorist cited: 11:40 a.m. National Drive at Brisa Street.
- Car break-in: 12:50 a.m. along 400 Anna Maria Street.
- Battery reported 12:13 a.m. on 2200 First Street.
- Domestic assault reported 3:16 a.m. on the 2400 block of Fourth Street.
- Misdemeanor hit-and-run: 2:07 a.m. Lloyd Street and Karen Way.
- Theft: along 2300 First Street 12:01 a.m.
- Public intoxication logged: 1:05 a.m. First Street at South Livermore Avenue; 4:44 p.m. on 4500 Las Positas Road.
- Identity theft: 4:20 a.m. on 1000 Bluebell Drive.