Here's an announcement provided by the Livermore Police Officers Association:
The Livermore City Council voted unanimously Monday to approve a new contract agreement with the Livermore Police Officers’ Association which will save Livermore taxpayers approximately $374,000 for the next two years through 2014.
“Our police officers voluntarily agreed to pay 5 percent more in pension payments to save the City of Livermore money to help balance its budget,” said Officer Glen Robbins, President of the Livermore Police Officers’ Association. “Our police officers recognize that, despite our tough jobs, we need to contribute more so that basic city services can be maintained for the citizens of Livermore.”
In 2009, the Livermore Police Officers’ Association opened up its contract and sacrificed its members’ 3.25 percent raise to keep basic services going for the Livermore community.
In total, Robbins estimates that the Livermore POA has agreed to over $1 million dollars in taxpayer savings in the last few years of negotiations — out of its commitment to the residents of Livermore.
“Livermore’s police officers are 100 percent committed to this community and to keeping basic services and programs for our residents,” Robbins added. “Our officers and their families are sacrificing — so are our residents.”
The two-year contract agreement approved by the Livermore City Council on Monday includes provisions for police officers to pay 2.5 percent more of their share into pensions in 2012-2013 and another 2.5 percent in 2013-2014, for a total of 5 percent. It also establishes another tier for new hires with a new 3 at 55 retirement, and a requirement that new hires pay the full 9 percent into retirement yearly.