Smith's funeral is today at 10 a.m. at the Neighborhood Church of Castro Valley at 20600 John Drive and is open to the public.
[Related article: Funeral for BART Officer to be Held Next Wednesday]
Smith, 42, was a 23-year veteran at BART. Smith is survived by his wife, who is K-9 officer with the BART Police Department, and his 6-year-old daughter, according to the Officer Down Memorial Page, a website dedicated to fallen officers.
Smith is the first BART officer to die in the line of duty.
- Large Turnout Expected for Fallen BART Officer's Funeral
- Funeral for BART Officer to be Held Next Wednesday
- Memorial Fund Created for Family of Fallen BART Officer
- BART Officials Identify Officer Who Fatally Shot Colleague
- Update: BART Officer Killed by Friendly Fire Identified
- Autopsy: BART Officer Killed by Single Shot to Chest
- Subject of Probation Search that Turned Deadly Charged with Robbery
- BART Police Chief Says Fallen Officer Will 'Be Greatly…
- Fallen BART Officer Lived in San Ramon
- City Flag at Half-Staff to Honor Fallen Officer
- State of the City Address Postponed for BART Officer's Funeral