What you see is not always what you get. Nutrient claim terms like "Light" and
"Free" have a standard definition that most consumers are not aware of. Our goal is to arm you with the knowledge of what these terms really mean.
You might be surprised.
- Calorie Free: less than 5 calories per serving.
- Sugar Free: less than 0.5 grams of sugar per serving.
- Salt/Sodium Free: less than 5 milligrams of sodium per serving.
- Fat Free: less than 0.5 grams of fat per serving, providing it
has no added fat or oil ingredient.
- Cholesterol Free: less than 2 milligrams of cholesterol per
serving and 2 grams or less of saturated fat per serving.
- Low-Calorie: less than 40 calories per serving, or (for meals
and main dishes) no more than 120 calories per 100 grams of food.
- Low-Sodium: less than 140 milligrams per serving, or (for meals
and main dishes) no more than 140 milligrams of sodium per 100 grams of food.
- Low-Fat: 3 grams or less of fat per serving, or (for meals and
main dishes) no more than 3 grams fat per 100 grams of the food and percent of
calories from fat must not exceed 30%.
- Low-Cholesterol: no more than 20 milligrams of cholesterol per
serving, or (for meals and main dishes) no more than 20 milligrams per 100
grams of the food and saturated fat must not exceed 2 grams per serving.
- May be used on foods that contain 1/3 fewer calories or 1/2 the
fat of a comparable product. Any other use of the term "Light" must
specify it refers to the look, taste or smell. For example: "Light in
For more information about the support and guidence you can receive from our Certified Weight Control Counselors, call one of our Medifast Centers today for a free weight loss evaluation and body composition scan.
Medifast Weight Control Centers of East Bay
2620 South Tracy Blvd. Suite 120
Tracy, Ca. 95376(209)835-3278
San Ramon21314 San Ramon Valley Blvd. Suite A
San Ramon, Ca. 94583
675 Ygnacio Valley Rd. Suite B101
Walnut Creek, Ca. 94596(925)954-8398