1.a large rock, typically one that has been worn smooth by erosion. (In this case, possibly worn down by cars.)
The "Baja Rock" seems to have snagged another unsuspecting driver over the weekend. The giant boulder found in the parking lot near the Baja Fresh Mexican Grill at 2298 Las Positas Road in Livermore's Vintage Square Shopping Center has caught a lot of cars over the years, according to residents.
After Livermore Patch posted a photo of a car high-centered on top of the boulder the comments rolled in about the "Baja Rock" and its many victims. Many who have seen the rock believe cars drive over the rock not because of distracted driving but because the opening is too narrow for vehicles to easily pass.
- Chrissy Schieffer That rock has eaten A LOT of cars!
- Kathy Jones Ellam I've hit it. Not quite as well as this fellow though. I negotiate parking lots all the time and never have a problem. This curb is just in a strange place.
- Kaylan Flanagan It's not careless driving the corner when you get out of that drive thru is terrible, my SUV barely can squeeze through it.
- Teresa Zieminski-Myers If this is in the parking lot between office Max and In n Out burger, I've done it too! (Didn't get stuck tho)
- Debby Leeds-Piotrowski I too have seen a few cars there and I got my side step on my Tahoe dented on it because another car forced me over there. Too narrow!!
- David Pabst It's too narrow I drive a tow truck and pulled many off that rock all the story's are the same too narrow when another car is coming at you
Indeed, the "Baja Rock" has its own Facebook page, along with 45 friends. According to the Facebook page, the secret page administrator had posted a "warning" sign that says "Has this rock ruined your day?" next to the rock for drivers in the parking lot that appears to have been recently moved.
The first status update posted on the page on Jan. 3, 2011:
"Oh Baja Rock, why did you ruin my car? One minute I was thinking of over priced Mexican cuisine, the next minute your were grinding the under carriage of my wife’s car."
Related photo: Car Meets Boulder: Bad Parking or Distracted Driving?
Has the 'Baja Rock' Ever Ruined Your Day? Tell us in the comments section and post your photos in our announcements section on the site.